(However there are many more sites in the region not shown in this map).
Kümbet, Tomb of Solon with lion facade
The region between Eskişehir, Afyon and Kütahya, called ‘the Phrygian Highlands’, was part of the Phrygian Kingdom from about 1200 BC and the name lasted till the end of the Byzantine period. The capital was Gordion near Polatlı. The most famous kings were Gordias (the Gordian Knot) and Midas (everything he toughed turned into gold and he had donkey ears). The largest archaeological site is Midasşehir, the holy center of the Phrygians mother-goddess Kybele.. Midasşehir is next to the modern village of Yazılıkaya, which is about 4km south of the Midas Han in Çukurca Köy. In the surrounding of Midas Han are a number of fortified hilltops (e.g. Doğanlı Kale, Akpara Kale, Pişmiş Kale, Gökgöz Kale, Koçabaş Kale), rock cut-tombs (e.g. Gerdekkaya Hamamkaya, Şukranli Köy), Phrygian rock-facades and shaft-munuments(e.g. Areyastis monument, Midas Monument, Maltaş, Berbirini facade and the Bahşeyiş Monument), At bit farther away are chapels and churches (e.g. the Berbirini church, the complexes of Ayazin and Kirkinler), the fortified hilltops of (e.g. Yapıldak Asar Kale, Kümbet Asar Kale, Avdalaz Kale and Demirli Kale), Phrygian and Roman rock-tombs at Yapıldak, Aslantaş, Yilantaş, the underground city at Han, the Battalgazı Külliyesi at Seyitgazi, the lion-facaded tomb and the Selçuk Türbe at Kümbet and the Türbe complex at Aslanbeylı.
- The number of sites and monuments in such a large area make it impossible to visit all in one hike.
Readings on the Phrygian Highlands:
Emilie Haspels, The Highlands of Phrygia. vols. 1-2, 1971
Emilie Haspels, Midas City Excavations and Surveys in the Highlands of Phrygia, 2009
Berndt-Ersöz, Phrygian rock-cut shrines, 2006
Taciser Tüfekçi Sivas - Hakan Sivas, Phrygians, 2012
Dietrich Berndt, Midasstadt in Phrygien: eine sagenumwobene Statte im anatolischen Hochland, 2002
Dündar Tokgöz, Şükranlı Nekropol Kazızı-1974, Türk Arkeoloji Dergisi, Sayı XXIII-2, 1976
Akpare Kale. Roman / Byzantine rock-cut tombs down at the bottom of the east slope of the hill.